[Tfug] Cabling between buildings

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Mon May 25 21:01:15 MST 2009

Malcolm Schmerl wrote:

<SNIP>

> I have a similar problem. My wife likes to watch TV while working in
> our shop. The shop is located 40 ft. from the house. Since TV is going
> digital, the logical thing to do is couple into the house optical
> cable and run it to the shop. If Comcast does this, it'll cost an
> installation fee plus an additional $18+ per month since they consider
> it an additional service under a different roof. Screw them!!! What do
> I need and where can I get it to do this myself?

For this you probably don't want Fiber, as even comcast won't be handing
over on Fiber:

You want to put in conduit, 1" PVC is probably best (electrical grade),
between the two sides.

Run two runs of RG6 Quad Shield, and two runs of Cat5E or Cat6 between
the two buildings.

On each side of the coax, install a either a gas tube lighting
protector, or one of these:

http://www.diguniverse.com/SURGE-PROTECTORS/POWER-PROTECTION/DHPV.html

Make sure that the lighting protector is PROPERLY grounded.

---

On each side of the Cat5 install one of these:

http://www.smalldog.com/product/71741/atfgc

                                     Harry