[Tfug] Cabling between buildings

Malcolm Schmerl mjs355 at comcast.net
Mon May 25 20:47:46 MST 2009

Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a friend who has several buildings on his property
> (many acres) between which he would like to run network
> cabling.  Wireless is out of the question (paranoia
> as well as distances).
>
> I imagine you can purchase CAT5 cable suitable for
> direct burial.  But, I am not sure that even that would
> handle the distances involved (think:  many acre ranch).
>
> Optical fibre comes to mind as a solution (especially
> to tolerate any large common mode voltages that you
> could encounter in such an installation -- think:
> lightning).  But, are there any better options?  He's
> not keen on spending a lot of money to do so (e.g., he
> could always purchase multiple cell phones with "data
> service" and route packets through TPC to get from location
> A to location B  :-/ )
>
> Thx,
> --don

I have a similar problem. My wife likes to watch TV while working in our
shop. The shop is located 40 ft. from the house. Since TV is going
digital, the logical thing to do is couple into the house optical cable
and run it to the shop. If Comcast does this, it'll cost an installation
fee plus an additional $18+ per month since they consider it an
additional service under a different roof. Screw them!!! What do I need
and where can I get it to do this myself?