[Tfug] question

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 10:30:12 MST 2009

--- On Wed, 5/13/09, Jeff Breadner <jeff at breadner.ca> wrote:

> >  I dont know if this is the correct forum for
> this problem, I have a windows
> > 2000 server box that generates excel files every
> friday. The excel files have
> > to be moved to a unix computer they are on the same
> network(i.e the U of AZ) is
> > their anyway to automate this process?
> >
> You could also Samba share the destination directory on the
> UNIX machine, then use Windows Scheduler to "move
> c:\somedir\file1.xls \\unixhost\sambashare\file1.xls"
>
> The Samba share can be locked down to only allow
> connections from a specific IP address, and if you use
> "security = share" and "guest ok = yes" then you can do this
> copy without needing to provide a password.

Why not just *export* a share *from* the UN*X box and have the
Windblows machine generate the Excel files directly *onto*
that share?

Horses for courses -- of coarse!  YMMV depending on the
sensitivity of the data being generated, how much Excel has
to hammer on the filesystem *while* creating it, etc.