[Tfug] Scripting Question

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Sat May 9 15:23:48 MST 2009

> From: James Hood <ebenblues at gmail.com>

> I believe some linux distros don't allow you to run suid root shell
> scripts because of the security issues brought up by Adrian.

Yeah.  Still thinking about it.

I was thinking I would loosen the restrictions (using a root only script
on the command line) to the group, as you said... containing the necessary
permission changes to cp, mount, etc.   which I don't mind doing at the
beginning of a session.

Not to get too personal, but if my girlfriend says she needs to use the
computer, I hit the "panic" button, which would button things up, shuffle
the files around, cp stuff, umount disks, etc. and also return permissions
of cp, mount, and chmod to their proper state.  So, the "panic" button
would function only once, called "closer".

But now that my girlfriend has got her new Lenovo, thanks alot to tfug,
she won't be "at the helm" in the middle of my session. And I don't have
to worry about it anymore.  :(

Before I would say, "Sure, honey!" hit "PANIC".  Let her use the
computer...  and then I would get back on, open things up again using the
script executed by su, called "opener".

Thanks!

--

This message and any attachments may contain information that is
privileged or confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If