[Tfug] OT:Any Free Search Engines?

Nate nate at torzo.com
Fri May 8 12:30:59 MST 2009

I've been slightly involved in some SEO projects, so I'm not an expert,
but I'm pretty sure Google is still pretty legit.  The issue is that
people have learned how to exploit google's rankings and so they know
how to push their sites up in the lists.  Hence the fact that the entire
SEO industry even exists.  I also have been a "paid customer" of google
before in buying traffic, and can attest to the fact that while we
shelled out a ton of money to get our little text ad included in the
advertising spaces on Google (above and to the right of the results,
clearly marked) it didn't help our actual (organic) ranking at all.
It's a constant arms race as people learn the tricks, then Google
changes things to try to shut them down and return the rankings to
something more useful.  On either side it's black magic to me.

Wikipedia is displayed so prominently simply because tons of people link
to it from all over.  Google Pagerank is heavily influenced by the
number of distinct web sites that link to a certain page.  Other than
that, wikipedia is very good at how they display their info (titles, met
tags, page content, etc) so that it is favored by google.  Either way, I
find it highly convenient to know that just about anything I search for
has a wikipedia page so I don't have to use wikipedia's slow search, or
preface my google searches with "wikipedia something something" every
time like I used to =)

To answer your question, though, there was a lot of buzz around
www.cuil.com awhile back and there's a lot of recent buzz around Wolfram
Alpha, but that isn't out yet to the general public from what I can tell.

Nate