[Tfug] VirtualBox: Shared Folders on Lenny

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 20 02:20:17 MST 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:10:58PM -0000, Charles R. Kiss wrote:

> Thanks for your help John (as usual)!

No problem.

> When anyone has time to answer this:
>
> # lspci -vvv | Kernel
> or,
> # lspci -vvv | Vir
>
> or, pipe- grepping [vbox, , box, vir, vb, VB, vB, Vb, ox, etc ]  supposed
> to return any results wrt "VirtualBox"
> I get none.

You usually won't get any results when doing this.  The hardware that
VirtualBox, VMware, and Qemu emulate are generally all old standardized
hardware.  None of them are likely to have the name of the virtualization
product in the name.

Or did you mean on the host system?  You definitely shouldn't see anything
then.  None of these programs do that.  Also, I believe lspci reads this
information from the PCI bus via the kernel and no program should me meddling
with that.

> And VirtualBox/WindowsXP complains that there is a PCI Device with no
> software.

As I mentioned above, the devices these programs emulate are generally very
common older devices.  For example, VBox emulates an "AMDPCnet-FAST III"
ethernet card, and "Intel 82371" IDE controller, an "Intel ICH8M" SATA
controller, etc.  A big execption for VBox is the emulated video card with
"VirtualBox" in the name.  I'm pretty sure VMware didn't do this... it
emulated some old video card.

Anyway, the purpose of emulating these older hardware devices is that most OSs
will already have drivers for them, eliminating the error message you are
getting.  But, even if you are getting one, it shouldn't impact performance.
For example, the SATA controller that VBox emulates does not have a driver
included with XP.  So, unless you've downloaded it separately, you'll get such
a message from XP, but unless you're told VBox to put your virtual drive on
the SATA bus you won't have any problems in XP.

Aside from the SATA driver (which you must download from Intel's website),
most driver issues go away once you install the Guest Additions (VBox) or
whatever the other programs call their guest-specific tools.

> I think Lenny's permissions are maybe a little more strict than Etch,
> I've run into earlier problems.  Even though I confirmed installing the
> proper version of VirtualBox, for Lenny, is it likely a permission is off
> somewhere??  Where should I look?

Permissions on what?  I'm not sure what problem you're having in virtual XP
that you need fixed.  At this point, if VBox starts and boots XP, you can be
sure that pretty much everything is configured properly.

It's unlikely permissions are causing any problems with shared folders since
the source of those files is a directory in your home dir which you already
own.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org