[Tfug] Ubuntu 7.04 upgrade failure

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 12:48:01 MST 2009

Since I didn't have any available space on my backup drives, I was had
postponed upgrading until I could acquire an additional drive, which I
recently did with a terabyte external drive.  First, I attempted an
update directly to 8.04 via the 386-alternate iso.

Running the upgrade script (cdromupgrade included in the iso) resulted
in being informed that 7.04 to 8.04 was not a supported upgrade path,
so I DL'd the 7.10 iso, mounted it as a loop device, and ran the
script of the same name on *that* iso.

If I answer "yes" to the prompt "Include latest updates from the
Internet?", the upgrade fails with:

========================
Getting upgrade prerequisites failed

The system was unable to get the prerequisites for the upgrade. The
upgrade will abort now and restore the original system state.

Please report this as a bug against the 'update-manager' package and
include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport.
========================

But if I take the other approach and answer "no"

... that also ends in failure, with the error message:

========================
Could not calculate the upgrade

A unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include
the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport.

I assume this is largely due to the fact that Canonical is no longer
supporting 7.10, but it's just a guess.  I've Googled for info, but I
couldn't find any info that goes beyond mentioning running the script.

Anyone here "been there done that"?  Is there a recommended way to
manually update to the 7.10 pkgs on the iso, other than randomly
running dpkg against the .deb pkg files on the iso?

Thanks,

--
John