[Tfug] Re-nice... erm, and runlevels.

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 11 22:57:05 MST 2009

Quoting Jeremy D Rogers <jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu>:
> I still feel like a runlevel should be dedicated to low-power mode for
> laptops whereby switching runlevels removed power-hungry modules and
> set certain hardware into low power mode, or standby and shutdown
> unneeded services that otherwise keep spinning up disks. Especially
> stuff like 3D graphics drivers and various services. Laptopmode is one
> thing, but it just seems like runlevels would be a powerful tool for
> changing such a state of the system, and you could still have a
> config/updatescript that allows choice of what gets switched on/off.

 From what I've read on various lists, people working on power efficiency
want their improvements made to all systems.  Laptops are just the
obvious case.

Matthew Garrett has blogged some interesting things about it (like
screensavers: http://mjg59.livejournal.com/106581.html).  Here is where
he sums up some power saving tips:

http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/power/good_practices.html

Brian

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be
taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Arizona.