[Tfug] OT: Windows "Tracking Software"

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Tue Mar 3 12:28:06 MST 2009

Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi, Andrew,
>
>>> How can one detect/defeat software
>> "intentionally"
>>> installed on a Windows (XP/Vista) machine for the
>>> purpose of "tracking" a user's
>> activities?
>>> I.e., "intentional" spyware...?
>>>
>>> Thx,
>>> --don
>> Run Spybot Search and Destroy?
>
> I think that only deals with "traditional" spyware (i.e.,
> things that monitor internet activity and potentially
> report it to some (remote) third party (site)

Is that an assumption? You will want to eliminate all assumptions...
What about other spyware tools? Does the same assumption apply to them
as well? That is something you might want to check.

>> Remove it using Add/Remove programs?
>
> I'll have to check to see if it is listed there.
> Note that you can design an application to install
> itself and *not* create an entry in the "Remove Programs"
> registry.
>
>> I don't think you've provided enough information
>> for the answer you are really looking for...
>
> You can install software to track a user's *computer*
> activity (i.e., not just "internet" activity).  I
> want to know how to detect, disable and/or remove
> such tools (presumably, anything that does this
> and is designed intelligently will leave a very
> small fingerprint!)

If I suspected my PC had something like that then I would get the free
Process Explorer and examine all the processes. Kill any I didn't want
running.
Also I would investigate safe mode to see if that stopped the tracking
behaviour.
I would run msconfig and stop any services and processes from running at
startup that I didn't recognize.
Worst case I would reinstall windows.

Andy

--