[Tfug] OT: Windows "Tracking Software"

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 12:08:26 MST 2009

Hi, Andrew,

> > How can one detect/defeat software
> "intentionally"
> > installed on a Windows (XP/Vista) machine for the
> > purpose of "tracking" a user's
> activities?
> >
> > I.e., "intentional" spyware...?
> >
> > Thx,
> > --don
>
> Run Spybot Search and Destroy?

I think that only deals with "traditional" spyware (i.e.,
things that monitor internet activity and potentially
report it to some (remote) third party (site)

> Remove it using Add/Remove programs?

I'll have to check to see if it is listed there.
Note that you can design an application to install
itself and *not* create an entry in the "Remove Programs"
registry.

> I don't think you've provided enough information
> for the answer you are really looking for...

You can install software to track a user's *computer*
activity (i.e., not just "internet" activity).  I
want to know how to detect, disable and/or remove
such tools (presumably, anything that does this
and is designed intelligently will leave a very
small fingerprint!)