[Tfug] Lenny 5.0 Works Great

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Mon Mar 2 22:36:15 MST 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 05:12:43PM -0000, Charles R. Kiss wrote:

> The only remaining issue is the VirtualBox: I want to try it again.  It
> really worked great (auto-detection, etc.) until I ran out of space
> it better to install a virtual ware product in a 32-chroot and use a
> 32bit package, to install it on the 64bit side and use the 64bit package,
> make a 64bit chroot and install it there, or does it make no difference?

Personally, I've found VirtualBox' 64bit support in the 2.x series very good.
I'm using it now under 64bit Debian with no issues so far and my sister is
using it under 64bit Ubuntu with no issues.  I've also got it on my 32bit
laptop, but I've used it far less there.

I don't think there's any need to go through the trouble of putting it in a
chroot.

I should mention that I'm no longer using the Open Source Edition (OSE) that
ships with Debian.  Instead, I've added the repository that the VirtualBox
people provide and I'm using their version directly.  I needed the USB support
which is not (yet?) in the OSE version.

Also... I'm unsure of your last option above.  A 64bit chroot on a 64bit
system?  I can't see that serving much of a purpose at all unless you *really*
want to segregate your apps.  But then, that's the sort of thing you'd usually
use a virtual machine for...

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org