[Tfug] Lenny 5.0 Works Great

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Mon Mar 2 10:12:43 MST 2009

I just changed over to Lenny 5.0 (AMD64).

Here's the Story:

I was half-in/half-out of a VirtualBox session in Etch 4.0; my /home was
running low on harddrive space-I was experimenting with modifyhd, and
other commands, to fix it, doing some noobie things inside and outside the
virtual space.  I took a break for a few minutes; and returned to see my
girlfriend at the helm; I allowed her continue her "quick" email session
with gmail.  No problem.  The virtual session was in a terminal, maybe in
a chroot (I forgot how I had set it up), anyway, I figured I was safe,
and also willing to experiment.  I really love her.

Well, it wasn't five minutes before my processor and monitor just
instantaneously popped-off; not a clean unmount :)).  I guess it was
fitting she lose her "quick" email.

No real damage, as far as I can tell; but I couldn't reboot fully becuase
the /tmp directory was in disarray, and not mounting  =/dev/sda9. Well,
after trying to run fsck for awhile I decided to let it go.  Or maybe I
got it working and things were unstable.  I don't remember.

Looking for a solution, and seeing that Lenny 5 came out on Valentine's
Day, I took it as a sign from Cupid, that I should just reformat the whole
drive, and simultaneously upgrade, and expand my /home space for more
VirtualBox memory.  And continue with my experiments. So, that's what I
did.

Lenny 5 is great; I love it.  I had one problem with alsa: had to cp the
alsa kill script in rc0.d to rc2.d and rename it.

The only remaining issue is the VirtualBox: I want to try it again.  It
really worked great (auto-detection, etc.) until I ran out of space
better to install a virtual ware product in a 32-chroot and use a 32bit
package, to install it on the 64bit side and use the 64bit package, make a
64bit chroot and install it there, or does it make no difference?

Charles
--

This message and any attachments may contain information that is
priveleged or confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If