[Tfug] Apple Mac OS X: tool of Godless Darwinists and Communist / TROLL ALERT?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 18:59:17 MST 2009

Hi, Liz,

--- On Tue, 6/23/09, Liz_Ravenwood at beaerospace.com
[snip]

> and then I wonder how much is really
> a product of our mathematics when our mathematics is
> inately inadequte since reality is really irrational numbers
> anyay, and how we decide to
> frame it is based on the precision and scale of the numbers
> we use to represent it.

This is a good point (though I can quibble over rational/irrational,
etc.)

Unfortunately, I have forgotten more than I ever knew so I can't
cite specifics but I seem to recall the concept of zero was a
dramatic step forward in mathematical concepts.  And, moving to
a "positional" (?) numbering system vs. something like Roman
numerals made "higher math" much more likely to evolve.

So, what baggage does our current math carry with it and what
does it prevent us from seeing more clearly?

> If mathematics can yield such far off results based on 4 decimal
> positions out, then what can a full pi really do?
> Gosh, going in to zen mode - yet again.
>
> I should sing now...  "It's zen again..."

Yikes!  Give that girl some valium...  ;-)