[Tfug] Looking for a client for xmms2

bpoag at comcast.net bpoag at comcast.net
Mon Jun 22 15:35:25 MST 2009

I'd downgrade back to XMMS. Seriously.

When it comes to MP3 players in Linux, you basically have a choice between 3 different types:

1) XMMS, which hasn't changed much in the past 10 years..
2) Newer server/client players with crappy interfaces written with bizarro/ugly GUI toolkits no one uses or supports
3) Gigantic, bloated, hambone, saw-open-the-side-of-their-house-and-remove-their-fat-ass-via-a-crane-onto-a-zoo-gourney players like Songbird and Amarok that no one should ever use. Ever.

It's one of those completely obvious (and sad) shortcomings of Linux....There really hasn't been a decent standalone MP3 player to come out in ages for Linux that just plain works without miles worth of strings attached.. The sheer stupidity involved in getting something as simple as a damn desktop MP3 player working in Linux these days is incredible. It was actually *easier* 10 years ago! Nowadays, you can expect to have to hunt down 40 different packes that contain 30 different libraries and 20 different plugins for 10 different obscure audio formats that NO ONE uses, but are marked as dependencies *anyway*, just to get it off the ground and discover it doesn't even play normal MP3s because some hippy package maintainer in his mom's basement insists that you be made aware of the intellectual evil that is copyright law (gasp!) for the umpteenthousandth time.

It's 2009. I've got a 2 GHz dual quad-core workstation here at work with 12GB RAM, and I have yet to see Amarok play an MP3 without gapping/glitching the output. Sad thing is, people just get used to it. It's one of those forms of awful that users get accustomed to slowly, incrementally, until they become so comfortable in dealing with the program's idiosyncracies that they resist the idea of giving up all that hard-earned knowhow and use something that actually works the way it's supposed to.

Then again, i've moved onto OS X for great justice. Plenty of decent non-iTunes MP3 players there. I don't have these sorts of problems anymore.

Cheers,
Bowie