[Tfug] Router testing

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Thu Jun 18 09:15:36 MST 2009

> I'm having a problem with my home wireless setup. About 3 mos. ago my
> Netgear router died and I replaced it with a new Linksys WRT54G2. It
> installed and worked fine. However a few days ago the wireless PC was
> either unable to connect or it connected with a very low signal
> strength. So I replaced the adapter card with a new one and it now
> connects OK. BUT the data transfer rate is painfully slow. Does anyone
> know how I can test whether the problem is the router or the adapter
> short of replacing components?

Try changing channels on the router to 1, 6 or 11, and see which one
gives you the best performance.  The 802.11B/G channels overlap, only 1,
6 and 11 are non-overlapping, you should only use one of these if possible.

Your wireless performance can fall through the floor if a close neighbor
decides to start brodcasting on a channel that you were already using.

cheers
  Jeff