[Tfug] Clonezilla and bare metal backups or, "Symantec Ghost - I'm leaving you"

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sun Jun 14 22:35:42 MST 2009

Anyone who voluntarrily subjects their data to the protection of any
product owned by Symantec does so at their own peril, imho. I trust
Symantec about as far as I can throw a Buick.

We're forced to use NetBackup where I am..Worse, NetBackup in a tape
environment. I know, I know, cue the ragtime piano music... It's like
we're stuck with the worst possible equation you could possibly trust
your data with. We're putting our data,  in a proprietary format, on
antiquated (tape!) storage, using overpriced product, with a buggy
interface, that was knowingly shipped to the public in a corrupt state,
by a company who's lack of customer service is absolutely legendary.

Thank god we're getting a ton of new storage soon. First thing i'm going
to do is carve out space for online backups. Maybe within the 5 years I
can convince my employer to get rid of NetBackup in favor of something
sane, open, and supportable. The guy who used to be repsonsible for
NetBackup got a job elsewhere, so, my boss approached the other guys on
this guy's team to pick up the responsibility. None of them would. And
these are Windows folks -- People who are used to dealing with
crapplications out the wazoo. Even THEY wouldn't touch NetBackup!

The only reason I volunteered for it is because I wanted to be sure
*somebody* took care of it!

Cheers,
Bowie