[Tfug] network connection

Jordan Aberle jordan.aberle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 00:39:13 MST 2009

Adrian is right, cable is shared bandwidth, unlike DSL which is a static and
guaranteed connection.  If you are on cable connection and in a neighborhood
with a bunch of kids that download movies 24/7 it will effect your speeds.
 Wiring, routers, and other environmental concerns also play a role with
your bandwidth.
The best way to troubleshoot your issue is to disconnect your cable modem
and run speed tests on your internal network.  If you are running a 100mbit
network, you will hit around 9mb/s (collisions and hard drive speeds can
cause about a 1mb/s loss]  If you are hitting around 9mb/s+ you are fine and
it is the shared cable to blame.  If you are seeing 5mb/s on your intranet
something is up.

-Jordan