[Tfug] freezing

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 30 17:01:33 MST 2009

> > How can I check the processor temp if possible. Other reasons for a hard
> > freeze?
>
> You could have bad memory.  Test it with this:
>
> http://www.memtest.org/

Note that memory can appear bad and simply need to be "reseated".
Also, if a DIMM appears to fail, move it to make sure it is the
DIMM and not a bad socket (most DIMM/SIMM sockets aren't rated
for alot of insertion/removal cycles so it is possible for a
socket to fail).

Also, check the board (main board) for bad caps.  Especially
the bulk decoupling caps adjacent to the processor, VRM, etc.
(you could also check the power supply for bad caps *if* you
can open it easily and can't otherwise check the outputs of the
supply for being in tolerance, low ripple, etc.)

You might also try to see what it is doing the instant it locks up.
E.g., is the disk light *on*?