[Tfug] OT: scanner repair

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 15:30:48 MST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Malcolm Schmerl<mjs355 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I do quite a bit of photography the old fashioned way, i.e., with film. I
> have a flatbed transparency scanner, (Acer 1240UT) that will do up to 4x5 if
> it were working. The thing was only $130 when new and I'd gladly purchase a
> replacement if I could find one. Does anybody out there fix scanners or know
> where I could get it repaired? If so, contact me off list. Thanks, Malcolm

If it's a mechanical problem and something is broken, then I'd say
look for a replacement - getting everything aligned in the inside of a
scanner is not fun.

About 10 years ago I was tasked with repairing an epson or HP scanner
that kept clunking against one end.  Turned out that the problem was a
broken sensor, which the vendor wanted more than the cost of a new
scanner for....

- Zack