[Tfug] Xorg 1.5

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 22:33:40 MST 2009

Erich,

As far as I can tell, there's FOUR pieces interacting when you have an
Intel video card:

* Kernel version 2.6.29 or higher, as there's kernel-level modesetting
being moved in there with the new GEM memory manager.

* HAL

* Xorg

* Intel driver.

I believe the situations with AMD and NVidia are almost as messy.

Short form, a LOT of stuff is in transition.  Intel-based video was
stable as hell for a long time but now it's deep in flux.  Rather than
sort it out myself I've been tied to the "xorg edgers" repos under
Ubuntu which has been updating my video/xorg stuff on average just
about every three days or so it seems, for almost two months now(!).
And it's sometimes unstable.

If you can PERSONALLY make sense of this crap and roll your own
combination, you're one hell of a good geek and I bow to you.  But
until then, I'd have to bet against you succeeding.  "Messy" doesn't
begin.

If you must go bleeding edge, I'd say grab Fedora 11.  It'll be less
heartache than a total roll-your-own.

Jim