[Tfug] Question: /sys/devices/

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 19:57:45 MST 2009

Hey Charles,

If you up a command-line and type "mount," you should see something like
this on one line:

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

This means that a sysfs file system is mounted on /sys (which is as it
should be).  The sysfs file system is a "virtual" file system--it doesn't
actually exist on disk, unlike ext3, NTFS, FAT, etc.  In fact, it lives
completely in RAM*.

Feel free to ignore the disk usage in this context--it's meaningless.  You
can also ignore disk usage for /proc for the same reasons.

Regards,
Jude

* The reason for this is because in Linux (and UNIX), everything in the
system appears to users, programs, and the OS itself to be a file.  This
includes devices, such as the PCI device at address 0000:00.  The file
itself is really the representation of whatever is in your first PCI slot in
the form of one or more files.