[Tfug] A symlinks question, I think?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 08:21:12 MST 2009

--- On Wed, 7/1/09, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tfug] A symlinks question, I think?
> To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
> Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 10:29 PM
> Cheapo Swann cameras, last pair were
> in a two-pack labeled "twin value
> pack", Swann "DIY" series.  Part number is SW-P-HSK
> and there's also
> "SW216-HSK-13110".  Should be able to ID 'em from
> those.
>
> They're not half bad.  They have a circle of IR
> transmitter LEDs
> surrounding the lens, and work OK at 320x240 NTSC
> color.  I'm driving

QVGA.  I was looking for something a bit nicer.
Currently exploring:

http://www.gadspot.com/product_info.php?products_id=192

http://www.cctvimports.com/bullet-cameras-infrared-bullet-cameras-c-3_106_118/cbiv8948h-49-eg-infrared-vari-focal-weatherproof-bullet-p-653

But, both "look" too much like cameras  :-(  I'll have to figure out
a way to make them less obvious...

> them with a pair of Haupagge BT878-based cards, one 3-port
> (2000 date) and one 4-port from 2003.  The ordering of the ports
> was screwy, took me a minute to figure that one out, at one point
> I had a conflict between them and the same image on two cameras.
> Oops.
>
> But I've got all 7 going now, using a strong single-core
> Athlon 64 CPU and 1gig RAM, pulling about 3fps a camera.  Good
> enough.

Hmmm.... I'm surprised at the low frame rate.  I had set
aside a 2.4GHz/2G/500G Athlon for the job but have to find
someplace to mount (locate) it that isn't obtrusive.

Damn computers.