[Tfug] video card

erich erich1 at copper.net
Sat Jan 31 10:09:55 MST 2009

OK,
      I've done an Ubuntu install already, (I'm not a Mark Shuttleworth
fan),
and there's a lot of stuff that goes on unbeknownst to the installer. I'm
building up another system using Gentoo, and it ain't easy. Their latest
LiveCD had a lot of user unfriendlyness, but that's alright I'm used
to building the kernel myself. I don't use automatic generation software
such as genkernel either. I just use the make menuconfig command  like
anybody that builds the 2.6.xx kernel.

     I don't know that much about Ubuntu. There are standard module
commands in Linux that you might want to read up on such as
modprobe & lsmod.

     Linux suffers from a lot standardization  problems. The language
of Gentoo users is not spoken by Fedora users/Mandriva users/Debian
users. There is inefficient use of  scarce talent because each distro has
to figure out how to  massage a FSF product to it's distro. I've often
wondered how much communication needs to take place when the
latest version of say, KDE, gets put into an *rpm or a *deb or a
bunch of ebuilds for Gentoo.

Erich