[Tfug] Printing problem

Daniel Duerr dduerr at email.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 21 16:15:27 MST 2009

Hi all,

Am having some problems with my system defaulting to A4 paper even when
explicitly told not to.  Some quick googling turned up a couple
suggestions for fixing this: system settings, program settings, and
using lp or lpr specifying the media size.  I've tried all of these and
that hasn't fixed the problem.  The settings have changed--and remain
changed, but when a job gets sent to the printer things revert to A4.

More googling turned up a bug with Okular (KDE's PDF reader--and one
that I use from time to time), that acknowledged that this was a
problem.  My problem, though, is that it's not just happening with PDFs;
it's also happening with plain text files and when using lp/r and
specifying a media size (letter in this case).

I'm sure there are fixes for this that I'm just not seeing or that I
don't know to look for, and am hoping someone on list can help me out.
So, any suggestions are very much appreciated.

And, just in case it's relevant, I'm running the most recent version of
ubuntu with Xfce as the desktop manager.

Best,

Dan