[Tfug] web server unreachable

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Wed Jan 21 15:35:10 MST 2009

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 14:13, Nate wrote:
> Hmm... good call... That is definitely a very good point and a good
> additional check.  However looking at the netstat again, we can see that
> it's listening on :::80, which should mean it's accepting connections on
> port 80 to any interface, ipv4 or ipv6.  At least, that's what I see on
> my web servers and they work fine.  My guess is that it's something
> upstream from him.

Absolutely agreed... but I have seen funkiness if you have multiple external
IP addresses on an interface (of course... this is just waving in the wind as
Doug didn;t give us specifics). With the "Listen [<ip>:]<port>" argument in
httpd.conf you can tell Apache to listen to everything on a port of any
address (the default), or specific address:port combinations... I have seen a
weird case before on a machine that had multiple IPv4 addresses on an
interface, was set "Listen 80", but would only respond to one of the two
addresses on the interface. Restarting Apache didn;t seem to help.. .a reboot
of the machine magically fixed it.

Adrian