[Tfug] package/repository confusion

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 06:09:59 MST 2009

> Generally, no.  If you want to make things simple and easy to maintain, avoid
> source compiled libraries if at all possible.
>
> The reason is just as you said.  Your package manager won't know that xmlrpc-c
> exists at all.  This means you can't use our package manager to upgrade it
> and, more so, it means that your package manager won't recognize any xmlrpc-c
> dependencies as having been met.  However, in your case the latter is unlikely
> since if the repository does not have xmlrpc-c there it shouldn't have
> anything that depends on it.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about the fact that nothing
depends on it. That makes me less hesitant to install it, not that
it's a choice, since I need it for school.

I'd still like to figure out why that website says it's available for
opensuse11, even though it won't install. Maybe now that we've
addressed my greater concerns about this, I'll follow up with the
error I get when I try to install. I have a feeling I'll be able to
work around it though.

Thanks ~ Chris