[Tfug] sda or hda?

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 00:21:40 MST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Jeffry Johnston <tfug at kidsquid.com> wrote:

> I think they do some SCSI emulation thing now, so everybody is /dev/sd*
>
> Jeff
>
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Eric Gearhart <eric at nixwizard.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 9:16 AM, erich <erich1 at copper.net> wrote:
> >> OK,
> >>        I'm one of those guys that builds the kernel when I install a new
> >> system. This time. I'm contending with 2.6.27-r7.
> >>        It seems that kernels now understand only the designation of
> >> /dev/sda[x] in an fstab file when once they did not.
> >>        Traditionally, hda,hdb,... was the designation for a hard drive
> >> (IDE ATA, etc) were sda,sdb,... was supposed to represent a SCSI drive.
> >>        Are we just using sda[x],sdb[x],...,etc nowadays?
> >
> > Are you using a SATA controller? We need more info... 'lspci -v' would
> help...
> >
> > http://kerneltrap.org/node/3495 has a discussion about hda versus sda
> >
> > --
> > Eric
> > http://nixwizard.net

I was curious about this too - I've noticed the change, and now
I know/understand why.  Apparently they've changed the driver
for parallel ATA devices, and now they appear as /dev/sda*
or /dev/sr*

This link helped explain things -

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_19#head-cdcbaa9c1b476decdc064e0a75d23d1328b1ddce

--