[Tfug] Anybody experienced with Sidux?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 15:17:34 MST 2009

Is it...totally insane, or workable for somebody capable of at least
basic troubleshooting, the ability to edit xorg.conf and the like and
good google-fu?  Note that I am *not* a coder - if necessary I can
apply a patch to source and recompile...

I keep running across Debian packages that didn't make it into Ubuntu,
and stupid stuff Ubuntu didn't otherwise include (despite their being
truly FOSS) because "it didn't make the Intrepid" (or whatever
version) cut.  Like the latest Ath5k driver for Atheros WiFi, and any
number of applications.  My hardware is at this point able to run with
100% FOSS drivers: Intel video, late-model Atheros WiFi replacing
Broadcom, Intel-based sound, etc.

The biggest "gulp" in Sidux for me is the lack of Gnome support
but...I should be able to tune KDE 3.5.9 into something usable.

For those not aware: while Ubuntu is based loosely on Debian Testing,
Sidux is based more tightly on Debian Unstable ("Sid").  Sidux cleans
it up and provides a solid installer and hardware detector for Sid,
but leaves it close enough to it's Debian roots that Debian (as
opposed to "Ubuntu") packages still work.

One big question I haven't got an answer for yet: let's say an app
hasn't changed for a while but it's still usable.  Let's say it's in
the Debian Stable repos but isn't in "testing" or "unstable" simply
because it hasn't changed lately.  Will that package still be
accessible in Sid/unstable?  Or would I have to add stable or testing
repos that could damage Sid/unstable?

Jim