[Tfug] Cheap NAS with NFS!

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Wed Jan 7 08:06:53 MST 2009

> If you can tear yourself away from Linux and use FreeBSD, here's a distro that
> will run on most generic x86 boxes:
>
>     FreeNAS: The Free NAS Server - Home
>     Home of Network-Attached Storage server, supports: CIFS (samba), FTP,
>     NFS, RSYNC protocols, local user authentication, software RAID
>     (0,1,5) with full Web ...
>     http://www.freenas.org/
>
> I have several FreeNAS boxes on my networks as backup servers.

I've played with NetBSD and FreeBSD in the past, but never stuck with
it.  I'm certainly open to running any UNIX-like OS though.

In my case, I'm just looking for a reasonably priced 2-5 drive NAS box,
that either natively supports NFS or can be flashed with any alternate
OS that supports NFS.  I've been told that I should get over it and just
put together a Micro ITX / Intel Atom box dedicated to file sharing, but
with two young kids I don't have time for side projects like this that I
used to have.  It's probably a lot less work than I think though.

For now, I've just bought an extra SATA controller card and have stuck a
5th drive into my old file server, with room for a few more before I
start stressing the power supply.

cheers
  Jeff