[Tfug] MMPC setup

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Mon Jan 5 06:59:39 MST 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM, erich <erich1 at copper.net> wrote:
> OK,
>      I have a box in my shop. It's going to be dedicated to multimedia and
> nothing else.
>      My first question is this: I has Xfce installed. Should I run it with
> Compiz instead? Will Compiz buy me anything over Xfce?

It depends on what media front-end you want to use, and whether you'll
use this box for anything else, like transcoding video or cutting out
commercials.

I run MythTV, this app always runs fullscreen, so there's no need to
waste CPU cycles on a window manager (plus it's running on a legacy
XBox, so it can't spare the CPU to start with).  Also, in my
experience there's enough other stuff going on when you set up a HTPC
for the first time that (at least initially) adding anything
extraneous into the mix isn't that great of an idea.

If you will be running applications that rely on the window manager to
some extent (they don't always run in fullscreen), and if you can
spare the CPU time, then you may as well give it a try.  You can
always change it out later.

cheers
  Jeff