[Tfug] Don't yell at your SAN!

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sun Jan 4 01:28:19 MST 2009

...You'll hurt performance. Yell at the SAN administrator instead. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

I wouldn't dare try to confirm this where I work, but it seems like a
valid conclusion. Something tells me that the environment that they're
doing the testing in is already close to the operating threshold for
ambient noise, and yelling at a drive is just pushing it over the line
momentarily. It could also be that a drive is noticing a temporary
airflow restriction when the guy cups his hands over it, and is dropping
RPM in response...although I've never heard of that happening in the wild.

I spent the better part of a week drilling down on a performance
bottleneck on one of our NetApps a few weeks ago, so this makes me
giggle a little.. It's the one thing I didn't have on the
checklist---Are there people in the server room yelling at the drives? :)

Cheers,
Bowie

(PS..the bottleneck wasn't my fault, btw...so :P* pthbbbbt!)