[Tfug] Netbook for $150

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Jan 3 15:12:41 MST 2009

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 03:06:08PM -0700, Eric Gearhart wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 09:26:45AM -0700, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:
> >
> >> Just saw this at Compgeeks, this is the first Netbook under $150 (just barely)
> >> that I've seen.  Anyone know anything about this unit?
> >>
> >> Alpha 400 MIPS 400MHz 128MB 1GB 7" Linux Ultralite Notebook Belco ALPHA-400
> >> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ALPHA-400&cat=NBB
>
> It's MIPS though... that means the Adobe Flash plugin won't work,
> right? As I recall the flash plugin isn't architecture agnostic... I
> suppose you could get the free as in speech flash alternatives going
> on it... anyone had any experience with gnash or the like?

Yes, another problem is no Flash.  Not even unofficial stuff as there's
no real hacking community around the board and what I saw implied that's
partly due to it being a pain to hack.  But maybe no one with the
overall skills has tried hard enough.

> Playing music / reading / watching movies on it though wouldn't be too bad

Depends on the movie codec and how much work they've done to make
mplayer or something have some sort of accel.  Stuff kind of works on
say the Nokia8x0 platforms because of accel that mplayer can get at.

--
Tom Rini