[Tfug] recommendations for installing a cluster..

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 12:13:20 MST 2009

> Just on a side note... I see you're a PhD (Piled high 'n Deep so I've
> heard :-) and your main job is as a researcher. So you manage and
> implement your team's nix cluster for biomedical research, while
> you're doing biomedical research yourself!?!
>
> Just thought that was impressive... or crazy. Often there is a blurry
> line between the two. :-)

Heh, yes.. piled higher and deeper.. crazy... blurry line.. all true
statements. I'm a postdoc at northwestern now, but graduated from UA.
Hope to apply for a faculty position soonish. Mostly, I'm an optics
guy and an experimentalist at that, so my research is studying light
scattering from tissue, but I also do some lens design and
instrumentation and lately some simulation. The only reason I am
working on the cluster, is that I've been using linux since undergrad
(circa 1997) and I seem to be the local 'expert'. Scary, isn't it? :-)

The problem is I use linux almost exclusively for workstation/laptop
stuff and have no idea what I am doing when it comes to
server/clusters or more complex network topology. But learn by doing,
right?
JDR