[Tfug] Mac OSX permission problem...

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 14:11:41 MST 2009

> Yes, I'm doing chown/chmod with sudo.  Doesn't help.

Is that user account an "Administrator" on the computer (In OS X, that
puts the user in the "wheel" group, so it can sudo properly)?

Have you tried this from another admin account on the same computer?

> "man chown" and "man chmod" list a different function for the -R
> switch than the Linux "recursive" usage.  I forget what it was, but
> basically I could see no way of doing recursive re-permissions unless
> I did some very funky bash stuff involving maybe find piped to
> chown/chmod?

It means the same thing - it looks like they wrote their man page as a
redefinition of the language in the POSIX standard...

> I read something on Apple's own site on the ACLs and tried a command
> to blow them away.  That same Apple page said they could be rebuilt
> through a tool on the original install CD (which I have).  But
> literally the only thing the original install CD can do is a
> re-install of the OS, which didn't help.

What page would that be?

Also, if you move then files then blow away the user account, then
move the files to /Users/$NAME and recreate the user account with
$NAME as the shortname, the system will ask if you want to reuse the
files.   (make a backup!)

- Zack