[Tfug] Mac OSX permission problem...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 23:23:07 MST 2009

I know there's some OSX geeks here...

I helped a friend set up his new iMac (Intel based, OS 10.5.2).  We
did a network between that and his old critter (also doing OSX).  I
managed to share his stuff from the old box with full
write-permissions, but once I copied his stuff to the new rig he still
had read-only permissions on it...and I could *not* figure out how to
reset them.

chmod and chown don't accept the same "-R" switch to allow resetting a
whole directory tree (as in their /home/username dir).  Nothing in the
GUI supported permission resetting.  It was a nightmare.

What the hell?

Help!

Jim