[Tfug] OT - PC Autostart Hardware

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 10:23:21 MST 2009

> Not going to work for what I need.  I'm looking for a
> way for a PC to shut itself down (power down) and have a
> "smart" internal-to-the-case power supply that can
> be configured to restart the system if it is shut down with
> instructions to power back up either immediately or after a
> certain time period.  I would think this isn't rocket
> science, but I've not seen a PS that provides this
> functionality.

One of my servers automaticall reboots whenever it is
"halted".  I've actually been trying to figure out how
to *break* this behaviour (since it makes powering
it down from the command line difficult -- I have to
actually move to the machine and pull the power cord
*after* it has halted and *before* it starts to reboot.

I still think you should be able to just power down the
system (from root) and cobble up a 555 to re-press the
power button after power has "failed".  (Of course,
this assumes one or more processes are still "sane"
enough to execute shutdown(1M))