[Tfug] Some news in hackintosh circles..

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 08:50:15 MST 2009

>> > I love this list, it makes me laugh.  Desktop Linux?  Come back when
>> > you have a functional directory/kerberos/system management system that
>> > can be implemented in a reasonable amount of time.
>>
>> What does that even mean? Does that mean I've never used a desktop OS?
>> Or did I miss something?
>
> I'm pretty sure that's why my ThinkPad can't stay on my desk at work.
> Why, as I type this email, it's floating in mid-air!

What I meant is that the basic stuff that business people expect to
have in a small network isn't there yet.

For example, single sign on - enter your password once when logging
onto a station, and gain access to network shares, printers, websites
etc., without having to reenter it, and without your password going
over the network multiple times.

See also group calendaring, address book, email, etc.

Yes, it's possible to set up Linux or BSD with LDAP and Kerberos and
get the above functionality, but is it easy?  Nope.   Do people do it
in reality?  Not outside of large organizations.

It's not that free OS's lack the software - they lack the ability to
get a functional working solution up and going easily.

As a standalone user with your own machine, the above isn't likely to
affect you.  When you're dealing with more than 5-10 machines, it
starts to be needed, and once you hit hundreds or thousands, it's a
necessity.

- Zack