[Tfug] OT - PC Autostart Hardware

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Tue Feb 3 15:27:04 MST 2009

I know there's lots of hardware lurkers out there, so here's a HW
question.  I use network power switches to allow me, or an automated
process, cycle power to a PC.  These things are not cheap, and they
are one more piece of equipment to keep track of and fiddle with (and
get lost/stolen).  Are there internal PC power supplies that can be
triggered to do a power cycle from a process running on that same PC?
I have a PC that also houses a GPS receiver, and when things hang my
first hack-fix is to force a reboot, and I'd like to have a second
level of response wherein I cycle power to the whole box.  Does such a
power supply exist, and what about SW to drive it?

TIA
Jim
James Secan
NorthWest Research Associates, Inc