[Tfug] Hate to say I told you so..

bpoag at comcast.net bpoag at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 11:40:32 MST 2009

The article is correct. Hence the "sorta" on my previous email. :)

Unless you have OS X installed, don't expect to run Mac GUI apps... Unix is Unix beyond that. Nothing stops you from going out and buying OS X and installing it ontop, however.

A "hackintosh" install basically infers that you've installed a patched Darwin kernel, and then OS X ontop of it. OS X expects certain things to be there in the hardware when it boots... Like an EFI boot ROM, a genuine Intel processor, etc, but there are work-arounds for each of these hurdles---a Darwin kernel patched to either emulate or mask these out. So, what Darwin kernel do you use? There are bunch of popular distribs that will choose the correct kernel for you, and install OS X while you're at it (iDeneb, Kalyway, iATKOS, etc.) but, I, of course, would never recommend anyone do this. Heavens no.

Also, don't do these:

1) Don't visit the OSx86 HCL (Hardware Compatibility List). This won't tell you anything about what hardware does or doesn't work under OS X.

2) Don't use Google to look up those three Hackintosh distrib names I listed above, and don't bother learning anything about them. They are evil, and using Google is known to infect you with AIDS, which has no cure.

3) For heaven's sake, don't go download and burn one of the ISOs and install it. They're totally not available from most bittorrent trackers, and they will also give you AIDS, or worse. SUPER-AIDS!

4) Reboot. Turn your system off before you have the chance to boot, go out, and download Firefox, and start downloading other free/open-source Mac apps.

4) Do NOT enjoy your new hackintosh. It's totally not cool to use your computer in ways that corporations don't like. Learning sucks and people who tinker with stuff are terrorists.

For anyone out there who's thinking of building their own Hackintosh, I hope you can sleep at night with this picture in your head: Steve Jobs pulling up to an ATM in his Mercedes, checking his balance, and crying knowing he only has several billion dollars with which he has to feed his family. Ever seen a grown man cry? It's not pleasant. And you'll be the reason for it.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/5041467/steve-jobss-car-parked-in-a-handicap-spot