[Tfug] MythTV and Cox/DirecTV

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Mon Feb 2 07:21:04 MST 2009

> They're charging (more) for the HD STB than just the regular STB.  If
> you don't have a cable box (and pay for cable) I do forget what HD
> channels you get, esp if you don't tell them you have an HDTV now (which
> is the case at my Grandmother-in-laws, haven't checked if she gets HD
> stuff or not in a while).

I think it's $8 month for the non-HD digitial receiver box.  It really
starts adding up when you use the STB's for more than one TV, and
$8/month just to allow MythTV to get access to digitial channels is not
worth it for me.  I did just buy an HD capture card though, but I need
to update my kernel to get drivers for it, and I haven't bothered yet.

Still, the mandatory rental is quite the annoyance, and I was kind of
shocked that they had the stones to do this.  If there's a class action
lawsuit I'll jump on board, but I haven't the time or inclination to
start one myself.

I'm a little disappointed with Cox's HD lineup actually; I was told when
I moved here that Cox was the best choice for all this stuff, but I
might start looking around at what the various satellite providers can
offer.

cheers
  JB