[Tfug] Hand scanner recommendation?

Michael Schultheiss schultmc at cinlug.org
Wed Dec 30 22:24:09 MST 2009

Claude Rubinson wrote:
> I've realized that I need one of those portable hand scanners.
> Something that I can take to the library with me for scanning pictures
> for my dissertation research.  I'm just starting to do research into
> them, but I figured I'd ask here if anybody has any recommendations?
> Obviously, I'm looking for something that fully supported by SANE.

I've got a Visoneer Roadwarrior
(http://orders.visioneer.com/item.jsp?item=90-0527-000&category=BUSINESS)

It's only partially supported by the CVS (or whatever VCS SANE is using)
version of SANE.  I hadn't thought about the digital camera route.  The
images that the Roadwarrior scans are muddled greyscales in SANE.  Even
with their provided Windows drivers the image quality isn't as sharp as
most other scanners I've used.  I bought it primarily for the
portability and the images it produces are "good enough" for my needs.

I also looked into some of the thinner flatbed scanners and found some
models that were more supported by SANE.  They're mostly available only
on eBay or Craigslist since the current models aren't supported at all.

I'd probably go with a digital camera if I didn't already have the
Roadwarrior.