[Tfug] linux to windows web host

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 16:16:53 MST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Ryan Cresawn <jrcresawn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org> wrote:
>> So, I'm wondering. The rationale behind moving it to a windows system is
>> simply for backup purposes, so they say, regardless, I'm the employee so I
>> need to make this happen.
>
> What does your employer mean by "backup?" I can imagine that could
> mean backup of the data to either disk or tape, but it could mean a
> form of disaster recovery such as instant fail-over from one computer
> to another or manual fail-over that isn't automatic. Your employer's
> concerns seem to lack a solid foundation based on what little you've
> told us about them. If I were you I'd hope to avoid moving your
> application to Windows; however, if you must I would argue for running
> it in a virtual machine on Windows as that will be the least amount of
> work for you and provide you with some nice benefits such as live
> migration, a feature which now exists in VirtualBox among other
> virtualization solutions.

I'm with Ryan here - backup on a unix based system is generally easier
and more controllable than under Windows.   I'd press that issue
further.

It may also be a "you're the only guy who knows how to make this linux
thing work, whereas windows people are a dime a dozen" issue, which is
what I've seen come up on a fairly regular basis WRT non-windows OS's.

As you're running this on your own customized distro, getting away
from that or getting it onto another more common distro may be a good
half-step to take.

- Zack