[Tfug] linux to windows web host

Ryan Cresawn jrcresawn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 14:55:09 MST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org> wrote:
> So, I'm wondering. The rationale behind moving it to a windows system is
> simply for backup purposes, so they say, regardless, I'm the employee so I
> need to make this happen.

What does your employer mean by "backup?" I can imagine that could
mean backup of the data to either disk or tape, but it could mean a
form of disaster recovery such as instant fail-over from one computer
to another or manual fail-over that isn't automatic. Your employer's
concerns seem to lack a solid foundation based on what little you've
told us about them. If I were you I'd hope to avoid moving your
application to Windows; however, if you must I would argue for running
it in a virtual machine on Windows as that will be the least amount of
work for you and provide you with some nice benefits such as live
migration, a feature which now exists in VirtualBox among other
virtualization solutions.

Ryan