[Tfug] RDP

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Tue Dec 29 08:37:59 MST 2009

Bexley Hall wrote:
> No, they are clients.  I want to know what incantations to
> cast on my W2KS box in order to get it to *accept* connections.
> Then, stumble through the vagaries of these appliances to
> see how *they* relate to the wintel implementation.

Hi Bexley

  In Windows 2KS, go to Control Panel > System > Remote tab, check the
"Enable Remote Desktop on this computer" box.  This allows any member of
the "Administrator" group to establish a RDP session (providing the
appropriate port TCP/3389 isn't blocked by a firewall).

  The principal RDP client for UNIX (to my knowledge) is 'rdesktop',
it's a Linux staple but I've also compiled it on Solaris 7, it's very
light weight and should compile on pretty much any UNIX.
http://www.rdesktop.org

  'tsclient' is a good front-end for rdesktop, it stores configurations
in files for easy one-click connections. There's many others though,
'krdc' is my current favorite, if someone else out there is reading this
and willing to run KDE packages.

cheers
  Jeff