[Tfug] Audio client

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 26 15:10:21 MST 2009

Hi Harry,

> >> Hmmm... how deep are these (I will chase the link after
> >> SEND)?
> >
> > Mounting depth:  3 in.
> > Shall I assume that is from the *back* surface of the bezel
> > to the back of the magnet assembly?  So, for a 4.75" wall,
> > you actually have ~4.25" of usable depth (from the outside
> > surface of the wall to the inside surface of the wallboard
> > on the "other" side of the wall).  In which case, the
> > magnet would never come close to the wall board behind?
>
> For some reason I tend to prefer the non-round speakers for

I've never liked non-round.  I guess it *feels* like it
should be less than ideal as a radiator (?).  I am
also wondering what the consequences of having something
in the wall in a small space would be, acoustically.
E.g., external speakers can be directed to a particular
sweet spot.  This isn't possible if you live with the
geometry imposed by the walls.  :-/

> inwall, and
> yes, they will fit in 2x4" walls, you add the depth of the
> drywall and the wall cavity to get your total depth.

Understood.  I was concerned that there was no "formal"
dimension diagram so the "3 in" number they cited could
have applied to the *overall* depth (i.e., including
the thickness of the bezel -- e.g., the size of the
smallest cardboard shipping box that would hold it)
or to the "wall thickness" required.

> I have actually put a bunch of these in a 2"x4" framed
> wall.
> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083703&p_id=4101&seq=1&format=3#specification

The back of the driver is not enclosed.  No doubt expecting the
wall chamber to serve as an infinite baffle.  Since you
would typically locate "other" drivers displaced horizontally
along the wall, those other drivers would reside in their own
wall chamber (i.e., a separate acoustical cavity).  For
"typical" construction, the two cavities would not be coupled
(amusingly, unless a "sound proof" wall :>)

I assume the drivers are small enough (capacity) that
the wall itself never vibrates acoustically?