[Tfug] gparted problem SOLVED!!! well ... er ... ummm

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Wed Dec 23 11:10:42 MST 2009

earljviolet at deserthowler.com wrote:
> There is a problem however.  Before I did the partition enlargement I had
> 10 GB free.  After the partition enlargement I still have 10 GB free.  I
> forced fsck.  Still only 10 GB free.  Any suggestions?
>
> Earl

Once you extend the partition, you still have to extend the filesystem.
Ubuntu 9.10's default filesystem is ext4, but the same commands that
worked on ext2/3 will work on ext4 as well.

Use gparted to push the partition size out to where you want it, then run:

resize2fs /dev/sda1        (substitute with your actual partition, of
course)

If you don't specify a size then it will just use the partition size.
You can do this while the filesystem is mounted.  When it's done
running, 'df' should show you the extra space.

cheers
  Jeff