[Tfug] fail to read cdrom in ubuntu

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 15:07:26 MST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 06:33:52PM -0600, JD Rogers wrote:
>> I get nothing useful in dmesg, kern.log or any other places I know to
>> look. Somewhere along the line, mounting has become more complicated
>> than "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom" and I failed to keep
>> up with how hal and other things deal with all this. Does anyone have
>> any ideas of how to even narrow down the possibilities of what is
>> failing?
>
> I wish that HAL, D-BUS, and the rest of the family had been strangled
> in the crib.  I might have just stumbled across the same problem on my

Agreed. Automagicness is great until it breaks and then you wish you
could just fscking mount -t iso9660 /dev/hda /media/cdrom.

> Debian Testing system.  It seems that some daemon has remapped my
> cd-drive to /dev/cdrom3.  The only reason that I happened to figure it
> out was by trying to play a DVD with SMPlayer, which complained when
> it couldn't find a disc in /dev/cdrom and autodetected /dev/cdrom3.
> Bah!

That's *probably* different. That may be fixable by linking /dev/cdrom
to the proper device. You can test if it is the same problem as me by
inserting a data disk in the drive and then try mounting it manually
using the correct device (hda, sr0, whatever). If it fails with no
media found, see if it works for a dvd data disk. My issue is that dvd
works, but cdrom's do not.