[Tfug] fail to read cdrom in ubuntu

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Wed Dec 16 14:37:49 MST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 06:33:52PM -0600, JD Rogers wrote:
> I get nothing useful in dmesg, kern.log or any other places I know to
> look. Somewhere along the line, mounting has become more complicated
> than "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom" and I failed to keep
> up with how hal and other things deal with all this. Does anyone have
> any ideas of how to even narrow down the possibilities of what is
> failing?

I wish that HAL, D-BUS, and the rest of the family had been strangled
in the crib.  I might have just stumbled across the same problem on my
Debian Testing system.  It seems that some daemon has remapped my
cd-drive to /dev/cdrom3.  The only reason that I happened to figure it
out was by trying to play a DVD with SMPlayer, which complained when
it couldn't find a disc in /dev/cdrom and autodetected /dev/cdrom3.
Bah!

Claude