[Tfug] fail to read cdrom in ubuntu

earljviolet at deserthowler.com earljviolet at deserthowler.com
Sun Dec 13 11:56:56 MST 2009

On Fri, December 11, 2009 5:33 pm, JD Rogers wrote:

> When I put a CD in the drive, the drive light sits there trying to
> read for a bit. lshw -C disk reports status=busy. Eventually it times
> out, and I lshw -C disk reports status=nodisc.

I find this sometimes.  It seems related to the brand of CD or DVD.  My
laptop reads or writes almost any brand but my desktops with older CD/DVD
readers choke on some.  I find Walgreen on sale generic disks seem to go
from machine to machine best.  I burn an extra copy though because I don't
trust them very much.

Another source of the problem MIGHT be upgrading to 9.10.  I did this on
my machine at work and lost sound.  As World Care is shut down until after
January 1, I won't be able to check further until then.  I will probably
do a fresh install then.

Earl