[Tfug] fail to read cdrom in ubuntu

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 17:33:52 MST 2009

Hi All,
I've got an odd one that I don't even know what to check next.

Issue: CD's fail to mount on 2 Ubuntu 9.10 boxes. I think they were
fine before upgrade, but I don't try to read CD's very often.

What I know:
The hardware is good (reads a data DVD just fine), the disk is good (I
can mount it on my debian laptop). It's pretty consistent across
multiple disks.

When I put a CD in the drive, the drive light sits there trying to
read for a bit. lshw -C disk reports status=busy. Eventually it times
out, and I lshw -C disk reports status=nodisc.

I read some things here and there related to the order of udf,iso9660
in fstab, but changing the order makes no difference. I even commented
out the fstab line and DVDs are automounted in
/media/name_of_dvd_volume instead of /media/cdrom0 or whatever was in
fstab.

I get nothing useful in dmesg, kern.log or any other places I know to
look. Somewhere along the line, mounting has become more complicated
than "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom" and I failed to keep
up with how hal and other things deal with all this. Does anyone have
any ideas of how to even narrow down the possibilities of what is
failing?

Oh, and "mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom" returns "mount: no
medium found on /dev/sr0".

I'd love to report a bug, but I can't even tell what is failing.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
JDR